CELA and NNELS are free services for library patrons with print disabilities. These services ensure equitable access to library materials.
CELA - Centre for Equitable Library Access
NNELS - National Network for Equitable Library Service
Contact us for more information, or to register as a patron with print disabilities.
Print Disabilities Defined
The Canadian Copyright Act defines "perceptual disabilities" as including:
- Learning Disability - an impairment relating to comprehension
- Physical Disability - the inability to hold or manipulate a book
- Visual Disability - severe or total impairment of sight or the inability to focus or move one's eyes
A person may be temporarily print disabled and still be eligible to use CELA and NNELS
CELA Frequently Asked Questions
CELA services are for library patrons with print disabilities, whether permanent or temporary.
CELA's collection includes materials in English and French for all ages and interests.
Materials are available in a variety of formats:
- DAISY discs
- Audiobooks on CD
- Braille materials
- DAISY files
- Downloadable audiobooks
Once you are registered, you can search or browse for materials at celalibrary.ca.
- Download materials to your computer or mobile device.
- Receive DAISY discs, audiobook CDs, Braille materials, or described videos by mail direct to your home. No postage is required to return materials.
- Borrow physical materials from deposit collections at your local library (collections vary by location). Contact your local library for more information.
NNELS Frequently Asked Questions
NNELS services are for library patrons with print disabilities, whether permanent or temporary.
Contact us or your local library to register you for Print Disabled Services.
Once registered, login to nnels.ca using your library card barcode number and PIN.
NNELS content is predominantly popular fiction and non-fiction for all ages. Some French content is available.
NNELS materials are available in a variety of digital formats:
- Downloadable audiobooks in DAISY or MP3 formats
- Downloadable eBooks in ePUB, eTEXT, and PDF formats
Once you are registered and logged in to nnels.ca you can search or browse for materials.
- Download materials to your computer or mobile device
- Transfer files to your iPod, MP3 player, Victor or DAISY Reader
- Download audiobooks to your computer and burn onto discs tp be played in a DAISY Reader
If the audiobook you are looking for isn't available in NNELS, you can request it to be added to the NNELS collection nnels.ca/contact.
Library Materials for Patrons with Print Disabilities
Marigold Library System and your local public library provide collections of LARGE PRINT books, physical AUDIOBOOKS on CD or MP3 disc, and downloadable eBOOKS and eAUDIOBOOKS.
Visit the online library catalogue, TRACpac to search for materials:
→ Search by: author, title, subject, or genre
→ Limit by format: Large print, Audio-book, Ebook, Eaudiobook
If you require assistance searching for library materials, please contact us or your local public library.